- To provide an accessible, welcoming platform for all artists and photographers, whatever age and experience level, to showcase their creativity, gain recognition and possibly win and award for their work.
- To provide local residents and visitors alike with an inspirational, enjoyable and affordable experience, promoting the deep and wide pool of artistic and photographic talent which is thriving in the Central North Island.
- To provide an accessible outlet for the sale of affordable, local and varied works of art for the benefit of creators and purchasers.
- To work with other community groups and stakeholders to develop a cohesive strategy to facilitate the use of creativity to enhance our towns, environment and the lives of our residents.
About the Waimarino Art Awards....
The Waimarino Art Awards were started in 2003
- The successor of the Ohakune Art Awards which ran for 21 years from 1977 to 1998. The founder, Dot Barnes is still volunteering for the WAA to this day!!
- Over that time, the Annual Awards and Exhibition has stood as a testament to the deep, inspirational and varied pool of creative talent in the Central North Island.
- Open to Entrants normally resident between Levin & Hamilton and those from other areas who have an enduring relationship to the Ruapehu District
- In 2016, we received 223 entries and over 800 visitors. We aim to be bigger and better in 2017
The Waimarino Art Awards is run entirely by volunteers from the local community who believe passionately in the importance of the arts and creativity within the community. A massive thanks to all involved in 2017 - its a big job but we love it. (most of the time!)
- Paula Charlton - Convenor & Overall Co -ordinator 2017: tel 021 045 7077 or email email@example.com for any queries.
- Kathy Forster - Judges Co ordinator
- Jake Fah, Darren Corowa and Aiko Groot - Venue coordination
- Julie Bezett - Schools Co ordinator
- Anne Stuckey and Lauren Whale - catelogue coordination.
- Johnny Moore - Prize Raffle Co ordinator
- Jenny Dekker and Kate Boyd - Award Evening Coordination.
- Mary Neilson - Marketing and Proof reading guru
- Administration assistants: Dot Barnes and Bianca Taylor
- Accounts - Donna Journeaux
- Friends and consultants of the WAA: Leonie Cadman, Jules Corowa, Bernice Frost, Anthea Hatfield, The Royal Theatre Trust, The Raetihi Promotions Charitable Trust.