- To provide an accessible, welcoming platform for all artists and photographers, whatever age and experience level, to showcase their creativity, gain recognition and possibly be awarded prize money for their work.
- To provide local residents and visitors alike with an inspirational, enjoyable and affordable experience, promoting the deep and wide pool of artistic and photographic talent which is thriving in the Central North Island.
- To provide an accessible outlet for the sale of affordable, local and varied works of art for the benefit of creators and purchasers.
- To work with other community groups and stakeholders to develop a cohesive strategy to facilitate the use of creativity to enhance our towns, environment and the lives of our residents.
The Waimarino Art Awards were started in 2003
- The successor of the Ohakune Art Awards which ran for 21 years from 1977 to 1998. The founder, Dot Barnes is still volunteering for the WAA to this day!!
- Over that time, the Annual Awards and Exhibition has stood as a testament to the deep, inspirational and varied pool of creative talent in the Central North Island.
- Open to Entrants normally resident in New Zealand.
- In 2017, we received 275 entries and over 900 visitors. We aim to be bigger and better in 2018.
The Waimarino Art Awards is a community organisation, administered under the umbrella of the Raetihi Promotions Charitable Trust. It is run entirely by volunteers from the local area who believe passionately in the importance of the arts and creativity at a local community level. A massive thanks to all involved in 2018 - its a big job but we love it. (most of the time!)
- Paula Charlton - Convenor & Overall Co -ordinator 2017: tel 021 045 7077 or email email@example.com for any queries.
- Sonia McIntosh - Sponsorship and Raffle Co ordinator
- Jake Fah - Venue coordination
- Julie Bezett - Schools Co ordinator
- Jenny Grey - Schools Co Ordinator, Promotions Assistant.
- Anne Stuckey and Lauren Whale - Exhibition placement and catelogue coordination.
- Jenny Dekker and Johnny Moore - Award Evening Coordination.
- Ann Jones - Volunteers Coordinator
- Phyl Cameron - Volunteers CoOrdinator
- Administration assistants: Ann Jones and Helen Fredricksen
- Volunteer Team - Dot Barnes, Lois McQuarrie, Sharon O'Connell, Tamzyn Paewai Te Raiki, Talula Hodder.
- Accounts - Donna Journeaux
- Friends and consultants of the WAA: Leonie Cadman, Jules Corowa, Bernice Frost, Anthea Hatfield, The Royal Theatre Trust, The Raetihi Promotions Charitable Trust.